Lab2

The first project I built for this exercise is bazaar  on an Aarch64 system, the build presses was fairly simple, first step was to make sure I had the correct version of python, I checked that I had the correct version of python installed in this case the system already had the required version so I did not have to do anything. I then located the build directory and ran the setup.py file included to build the software. This package was very quick and easy as it wass small and did not have many build dependencies.


The next package I built for the exercise is glibc the one of the most notable differences to the previous package is that,It has a directory for the build and also one for the source code this make it easy to clean things out and rebuild if needed and just keeps things more organized.

the first thing I did was git clone the directory, then I made a new directory for the build, I had no issues running the initial configure and makes commands witch built the library without installing it. however when attempting to install it to a specific directory ran into the following error

cannot remove '/usr/lib64/libc.a': Permission denied

now I could simply sudo to overwrite this but im deciding to use caution and investigate a little further first at what else I might have done wrong as id rather not destroy the entire systems installation by mistake.


Update----

So the cause of my error was me incorrectly using the syntax controlling the destination directory I incorrectly assumed that I could pass it as an additional argument but what I needed to do was set DESTDIR = "destination" I now have a fresh installation of glibc

The next step is building and testing some code with the newly installed library.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

project update 4 - testing

Project update 3, change of course

My expeeriance so far.